Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Wooden ships ...

...If you smile at me I will understand 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.
Wooden ships ...CSNY


On Monday my concern for the shaping of the wood around my pool is laid to rest when I find out there is way more to building the mould for the concrete than I had originally thought.

The first stage involves manually warping the wooden walls to fit the shape of the pool. This is done by attaching wires to top posts and gradually bending the wood, without snapping it, into a curve. A process better illustrated by photos than words.

The next stage is to support these wooden walls with internal cross beams on multiple levels to support the sides and the prevent them from caving in under the stress and weight of the concrete.











This amazing grid of wood takes two full days to construct and more than matches the previous

varilla grid for Tate worthiness. It is quite amazing how it is all put together. I can quite frankly say I have never seen the likes of this before.







It reminds me of the interior construction of a
Spanish galleon (see here)and looks quite awesome. A word we Brits don’t tend to bandy around freely!


Incidentally
The
Burning Man mentioned in the above Spanish Galleon link refers to remains a bit of an unfulfilled ambition. A Woodstock style experience with a bit of artiness and a survival challenge thrown in for good measure. And a great place for photographs!

I peruse the website occasionally and ponder whether I might just go someday …
in a Hummer. Yes I know! not very pc …and I’m not generally a fan of the gas guzzler ..but you would have to do it in style! Neil Young of Crosby, Stills, Nash Etc - Wooden ships ... in case you didnt notice!) actually has one that runs on 90% cleaner alt fuel! Strangely I’ve seen one or two of them appearing here on Cozumel in the past year … goodness knows why!

Anyhoo, its usually its the part about the porto-pottie regulations that bump me back to reality. The inner 60’s child says yes but AARP side says no – so might just leave it to one of my kids to achieve and enjoy my dotage with air conditioning, internet access and proper plumbing.


…but I digress.

With the Spanish Galleon skeleton mould well secured in place we are now ready for Pouring Day - the day we finally form the shape of the pool in concrete.





...and if reminiscing about all this hippy 60's stuff leaves you wanting a Woodstock fix try here at YouTube.com









2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is fun! i'm enjoying watching the progress of your pool and other projects.

and i just had to say that i share your vague desire to go to Burning Man someday. though i hear it's probably not what it used to be, it still would be cool (well, not cool....HOT!)

i think i might want to go in an RV, though. complete with toilet and water. i must be getting old :-)

11:52 PM  
Blogger casaolivia said...

nice of you to drop by and am glad you are enjoying it ...

from viewing the website, burning man does seem to be changing over the years. damned expensive to get in too!

... isnt an rv kind of cheating!
;)

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home