Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Varilla installations and mattresses.


Now that the sun deck palapa has been finished my builder has moved on to the pool and over a few days has put together an intricate grid of varilla to line the pool (varilla (wareeya - rebar – metal bars encased in the concrete for support).










Each piece is laid and bent to position then tied with a small piece of alambre (wire). The whole thing looks like an exotic piece of installation art that one might see in the Tate.

Incidental:
Question: Where would one think to look for the Tate Gallery on the web?
Answer: Tategallery.co.uk of course or maybe even tategallery.com … but no!
For some reason the Tate has gone for the publicly orientated but very obscure domain name, tate.org.uk.

The Tate Gallery, now more casually named the Tate, has chosen not to register these two obvious names (well caught Philip Morrison on tategallery.co.uk and thetate.co.uk!). Furthermore, it has sadly not acquired other obvious .org candidates such as tategallery.org or tate.org, leaving these and tategallery.com to those annoying adware site builders. Fortunately a person of a more altruistic nature spotted this oversight and has removed thetate.org from spammers reach and pointed unsuspecting visitors in the right direction. De nada guys!


…but to resume the tale

The workers then build large walls from various sheets of plywood and older planks.

When I return to my house on Saturday evening I notice these straight wooden walls do not fit the form of my curved pool. I call my builder to ask if this is an oversight and does he want to come over to discuss before Monday? He says no … Monday will be fine for discussion, so we leave it at that.

Sundays are such a treat on Cozumel. No cruise ships in port, but more to the point, no workers around the house! Its raining outside, so I enjoy a long lie in with croissants, jam and cups of tea, while I watch the telly and read in bed. Peace, quite, solitude - its great.




On another side note:
Soft mattresses are difficult to come by on Cozumel. Local mattresses have solid iron interior springs and are generally known to be very hard and extremely heavy! I was trying to lift one last year and it fell on top of me. For a while I was pinned between two mattresses, the old and the new. It wasn’t painful, more amusing actually, but in the heat I wondered for a moment if I was actually going to be able to summon up the energy and strength to lift the thing off me. Or was I destined to wait in a mattress sandwich for my esposo to show up from his dive and rescue me.

A friend suggested, rather than go to the mainland for an expensive soft mattress, we get one of those memory foam mattress toppers to add extra comfort. Eventually we hauled three of them over from the states and were glad we did. Our beds now feel so comfortable here … I really need to get another for home.

… or maybe it’s just the combination of heat, work and sea air that make me sleep like a log here. Who knows!

(…did I just hear someone say its probably the beer?).




Despite its female orientated "romance novel" type advertising campaign, Overstock has some of the best deals for these mattresses. Shipping is usually just a few dollars or sometimes free. I have used them for many of items needed around the house.

Try the Memory Foam 2-inch Mattress Topper with Bonus Contour Pillows
or the
Serta® Memory Foam 3-inch Mattress Topper (All Sizes) for more info.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I want to know. Did you have the Memory Foam mattress toppers shipped to you in Mexico? Or did you bring them here on the plane?

11:58 PM  
Blogger casaolivia said...

We brought them over on the plane - Overstock shrink wraps them for delivery so one shrink wrapped king size mattress fits into your average dive bag... for the single beds I cut a king in half. Overstock strangley charges same for all sizes.(and am a cheap Scot!)

I hear tell shipping from US to Coz is a red tape nightmare - so have never tried it

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home