Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lazy weekend on Cozumel.

On Saturday I wake at 6.00. I read for an hour or so while having my morning cups of tea and use the Franklin to re-remind myself of some words from the day before. It’s raining quite heavily outside, but that is of little consequence. It’s the rainy season, the air is still hot and the rain will end in a short while. I don’t even bother to bring the hammocks in. Im certainly not in Glasgow any more!

On making my morning round of the work I notice that one of the small windows in stair/ceiling support is going to overlap the line of the stairs. The stair support is not just cinder (breeze) block it’s filled with concrete for even more support and it might prove difficult to change. I consider options
  • Scrapping the idea altogether – not good, we want to try and get some natural light in the pool equipment area.

  • Putting some glass blocks (vitroblock) in – that would work.

Before tackling the builders with a problem its good to have a few options up ones sleeves. (not that one wears sleeves in this heat!). The workers need to keep moving and there is little time for indecision.

Stop to ponder … and all eyes are on you, awaiting your command. Ask for a day or so to think and they may take off for an unlimited period to work another project – not a good thing. I asked my house electrician to give me time to think on Tuesday and I haven’t seen him since. (I think I still have the upper hand though – I have a hostage - his workbag is still here.)

My builder checks the window when he arrives … no problem – we will just chip a chunk out of the concrete later. In my pre Mexico-building days I would never have guessed concrete would be so easy to work with. I swear, it’s probably easier to mess with than drywall (plasterboard).

I pop out to run around the usual suspects and check out washers and furnishings for the new palapa sundeck. When I return I have the place to myself.

To absolve any guilt of a whole afternoon doing nothing I spray arms and legs with “H24” (deet insect repellant – the mosquitoes are always worse in the evenings) and go out to paint our new dive rinse tank. That done, I lay on the couch, open a Sol and uninterruptedly watched two whole movies, without interruption, on the golden channel … golden bliss! (am I anti-social or what!).

Sunday is a beautiful sunny day. No workers …so I get social again and am a tourist for the day. The beach beckons - nuff said!

Photos to follow shortly …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home