Sunday, August 06, 2006

When good zacate ... (and other things) go bad!

On Monday the palapero brings the zacate (grass thatch) for the palapa in early morning. It is wet and moldy looking, as if it had already been through a few hurricanes. There is a bit of discussion as to how it would dry out and look better but I politely and firmly refused it.

The Palapero mentions it has been stored outside and that this section was stored in the middle of the pile for a while, which is why it looks so dark and damp. This only added to my concern. I have had enough farm experience in UK to know that this stuff was beyond recovery! By mid morning it is gone from my house.


Two days after starting my house plumber is still working on the changes to the plumbing lines. He is constantly hitting unforeseen snags as often happens here. A new canister of propane is faulty. It has possibly been stored badly and has dampness in it preventing a good hot flame for soldering. Exchanges are difficult here on Cozumel so we have to accept a credit note.

Then my plumber’s trusty three-year-old torch head gives up and the new solid brass replacement he wants will need to be ordered and will take 15 days to arrive. To keep up the momentum we split costs on a lesser quality one with plastic controls. It fails within the hour and we once again get a credit note on its return.

I eventually find the exact piece we need on the Lowes website at one-third of the price here. My husband (mi esposo) will bring it on Saturday. This evening I daydream of shopping in Lowes and Home Depot while I have one more city water hose pipe shower in the palapa guest studio.

By Tuesday night all is fixed and I have my first shower in the bathroom but we leave the hot water off as, fool maybe, I am going to attempt to remove some of the excessive hot water pipes now.

The next day goes without hitch, my plumber borrows a solid brass torch head from a friend, and the excessive hot water pipes are removed. We check and all works well. Its a major success and Casa Olivia returns to normal life with hot and cold running water, a water filter and a nice new backup water heating system … just in case!


The pool builder is making excellent headway, the ongoing design process is moving ahead nicely and the pool and palapa sundeck (presently without its thatched roof) are looking good.


Dare I say … all is well? It is hurricane season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home